Theme
Reading Response
Martin Drob 811
In
the Story I’m ready “The Drummer Boy of Shiloh” by Ray Bradbury, the main
character, Joby is going through a self-esteem issue.I think that Joby is
definitely experiencing what most people my age are going through. Many people
his age (14) are dealing with issues like self-confidence and self-esteem. I
think he is definitely going through this himself. This changes over the course
of the story though.
On
page 50, Joby says (thinks) “ Me, thought the boy, I got only a drum, two
sticks to beat and no shield”. This quote definitely shows he doesn’t think he
is an importance to the war. He looks at all he real soldiers and thinks he isn’t one of them. I totally understand
where he is coming from. I haven’t dealt with wars, but whenever I see my
brothers, they are both successful and make a lot of money I always think to
myself “I hope I become like them”. In this regard I am definitely like Joby.
The
thing that snaps Joby out of this self-confidence issue is meeting and speaking
to the general. The general insures Joby that he is important to the war. One
time he says, “You are the heart of this war” I think this definitely helps
Joby with this issue especially coming from a General. The General even tells him (Joby) that he will become the general after this war.
In
conclusion this character undergoes serious change through out this story. I
think that the change he went through is something many teenagers go through
even now. Feelings and emotions are timeless. I think that this is one of the
most important elements of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment